National Treasure 3 Moves Forward With Disney-Approved Script

00Comment iconComment iconComment iconComment icon

Jon Turteltaub confirmed that the third National Treasure film is in development and already has a script approved by Disney.

Writer image

Translated byEditorial

Writer image

Revised byEditorial

Edit Article

More than 20 years after Ben Gates stole the Declaration of Independence, National Treasure 3 is in development. Jon Turteltaub, who directed the original 2004 film and its 2007 sequel, confirmed that Disney has approved the script for the third installment.

The revelation came during a live recording of the National Treasure Hunt podcast held in Philadelphia on Friday. Turteltaub said he had been considering mentioning the project that night and ended up announcing the news to the audience.

“It’s happening. You’re the first people I’ve told this out loud.”

- Jon Turteltaub

The director explained that the project has finally entered a concrete phase, although it still faces the usual uncertainties of Hollywood. According to Turteltaub, the team now has a script he likes, and Disney said the story “feels like a movie we can make.”

“It’s finally real. Now it’s “Hollywood real,” which means things can happen.”

- Jon Turteltaub

The franchise follows historian Ben Gates, played by Nicolas Cage, as he searches for an ancient treasure. In the first film, released in 2004, the character steals the Declaration of Independence to find the map leading to the fortune before his colleague Ian, played by Sean Bean, can get to it.

The two films grossed more than US$ 800 million at the worldwide box office. After the 2007 sequel National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Disney+ released the spinoff series National Treasure: Edge of History in 2022, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones.

Turteltaub’s confirmation puts National Treasure 3 back in development, but there is still no information about the cast, the start of production or the release date.